Like any other Friday, a couple of my friends and me whatsapp chatting on what plans to make for the weekend. The suggestions ranged from quite dinner, clubbing, morning walk to movie. One of them suggested we go participate in the world yoga day. Most of us replied “is there a day for yoga!!!! Booooring ” . The friend who made the suggestion said “Go Google it”.
As the discussions resumed about the weekend plans I got curious and actually Google searched “International Day of Yoga“. Wikipedia told that June 21, has recently been declared as the world yoga day by the United Nations and it is going to be celebrated for the first time in the world this Sunday.
The enthusiast in me woke up, I immediately asked my friends and family if they were aware of the world yoga day and what are they doing this Sunday morning. I was surprised about how ignorant I had been and how aware and active my friends and family was. I went around asking what their perspective about yoga was. Following are a few responses I got.
- Grandma and Grandpa – ” Sunday morning we are going to go to the quite lake side and sit by watch the sun rise, the birds chirp and the winds rustle, for us yoga is not so much of a bodily exercise but a state of mind which is calm and alive, like Nature, for us being with nature is Yoga”
- Mummy – ” I have been going to yoga classes , but this Sunday all our yoga class ladies are going to take an off and see how we can apply yoga in daily life, for me if I am able to maintain the house clean and neat, handle the finances , feed and nurture the family , my mind is at peace. Like doing the postures in yoga requires a skill, this skill in action I get to do in my daily life is Yoga”.
- Daddy – “I am going to run for a marathon to raise awareness amongst the people about yoga, helping and serving others in whichever way I can is yoga “.
- House maid – “Ha-ha, there is a day for yoga too… I do yoga daily, sweeping the floor, washing clothes, doing the dishes, all this is similar to yoga”.
- Kids in the colony – “We are learning to dance yoga, going to perform it in our school, for us, yoga is fun”.
- Friends – “If I am able to look as hot as the model who comes on TV and shows the yoga postures and gracefully moved her hands and feet around, then I definitely will celebrate world yoga day daily, for me physical fitness is yoga”.
After Listening to all these I thought this weekend I should go and check out what is happening on the International yoga day. Hence I arrived at my own definition of yoga, for me “A spirit of enquiry is yoga”. So I am going to go on a date with yoga.
Go find your own definition and join the celebration of first ever International Day of Yoga on this June 21, 2015.