The twist imposed on the spine makes the spinal column more flexible and stimulates the spinal nerves. It also has a strong influence on the abdominal muscles, alternately stretching and compressing them, as the body twists from one direction to the other.
Steps to do Vakrasana:
• Sit with the legs outstretched.
• Sit up with the legs stretched straight in front of you, keeping the feet together and the spine erect.
• Place the left hand on the left knee; right hand behind you.
• Twist to the right and look over the right shoulder.
• Breathing out, come back to the front.
• Repeat on the other side.
• Breathing out, come back to the front and relax.
1. Stretches the spine, loosens the vertebrae and tones the nerves.
2. Vakrasana relieves back pain, neck pain, some forms of sciatica.
3. A good asana for beginners, preparing the back for the more difficult spinal twists