Yoga is an ancient technique that promotes holistic living through a combination of postures and breathing techniques. Yoga is a side-effect free method to fight migraine. Practising these simple yoga postures for a few minutes every day will help prepare yourself better for the next migraine attack
Child’s Pose gently stretches the hips, thighs, ankles, calms the mind and helps relieve stress and fatigue. The Child pose also calms down the nervous system and effectively reduces the headache.
Cat stretch improves blood circulation, relaxes the mind, beats stress and helps you breathe better. The best part about this asana is that it helps relax tense muscles which is an effective way to get rid of pain
The Corpse pose rejuvenates the body by bringing it into a deep state of meditative rest. The yoga routine should be ended by lying down in this pose for a couple of minutes.
12 yoga poses combined to form a sequence called Surya Namaskar. It is the best yoga has
to offer as far as the poses are concerned. It works on the whole body especially on the big
muscle group. A beginner can start with a few rounds of it and gradually increase the no. of
rounds. It helps to shred the weight and also known as king of the asanas.
For weight loss, one or two rounds of suryanamaskar are not sufficient. However, start with
doing one round of these 12 steps of surya namaskar on day one. Remember that one round
of Surya Namaskar means doing all the 12 steps twice- first time with right leg and second
time with left leg . Keep on increasing your rounds everyday- 2 rounds on second day, 3 to
4 rounds on 3rd day, 5-7 rounds on 4th day and so on till the time when you become
capable of doing around 20 rounds of all the 12 surya namaskar steps. You will not need to
do any other exercise to reduce weight if you can do 18-20 rounds of surya namaskar yoga
steps each day!
Practicing Sun Salutation at different speeds (slow, medium or fast) can have different effects. If done at a slow pace, it can help strengthen and tone body muscles. Use the breath as an effective tool in slow movements to bring the body, mind and breath in harmony and enjoy a complete meditative experience. A few rounds of quick Sun Salutations can be a great cardiac workout. If you are doing Surya Namaskar as a warm-up exercise, do it at a fast pace. But if Sun Salutation is included in the entire yoga posture package, you can do it at slow to medium pace.
To achieve best results, ensure that you practice Sun Salutation regularly. Only then would you be able to experience its benefits. To quote Krishan Verma, senior Art of Living Yoga teacher, “It is better to practice daily for 20 minutes than to practice for an hour occasionally.”
Yoga considered being more of aerobic exercise burns less calories during the workout compared to other strenuous workouts which are as effective. Yoga has its own sweet ways to cut the flab.
Yoga Warrior Pose
The Warrior Pose or Veerabhadrasana is one of the best yoga poses for weight loss that strengthens and tones the arms, shoulders, thighs and back muscles
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Cobra pose helps to take deep breaths resulting in more oxygenated blood being pumped to different parts of the body. The oxygenated blood helps to burn the fat. Helps in toning the buttocks too.
Bow pose is more of an advanced yoga pose but not only helps in burning the fat but also helps in toning of arms and legs.
- 12 yoga poses combined to form a sequence called Surya Namaskar
- It helps to shred the weight and also known as king of the asanas
Camel Pose or Ustrasana is the best yoga for weight loss because it targets the tummy, back and thighs
It helps to lose weight and belly fat falls down
The Downward Facing Dog pose increases blood circulation to the brain and thus relieves headache.
Benefits of the Downward Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- This pose leaves you energized and rejuvenates the body
- It lengthens the spine, strengthens the muscles of the chest increasing lung capacity.
- It brings strength throughout the body especially the arms, shoulders, legs, feet.
- Helps to tone muscles
- It increases circulation to the brain
- Calms the mind and helps relive headache, insomnia and fatigue.
How to do Downward Facing Dog Pose
- Come onto your fours. Form a table such that your back forms the table top and your hands and feet form the legs of the table.
- As you breath out lift the hips up, straightening the knees and elbows, form an inverted V-shape with the body.
- Hands are shoulder width apart, feet are hip width apart and parallel to each other. Toes point straight ahead.
- Press your hands into the ground. Widen through the shoulder blades. Keep the neck lengthened by touching the ears to the inner arms.
- Hold the downward dog pose and take long deep breaths. Look towards the navel.
- Exhale. Bend the knees, return to table pose. Relax.
The Camel Pose or Ustrasana is the best yoga pose to reduce weight because it targets the tummy, back and thighs. Camel pose also helps for strengthening the back muscles, opening up the chest and lungs, improving the flexibility of the chest, abdomen and neck.
How to do Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
Padmasana helps you relax and clear your mind of tensions. The Padmasana yoga pose relaxes the mind and alleviates headache.
Padmasana or Lotus pose is a cross-legged yoga posture which helps deepen meditation by calming the mind and alleviating various physical ailments. A regular practice of this posture aids in overall blossoming of the practitioner, just like a lotus; and hence the name Padmasana.
How to do Lotus Pose (Padmasana):
- Sit on the floor or on a mat with legs stretched out in front of you while keeping the spine erect.
- Bend the right knee and place it on the left thigh. Make sure that the sole of the feet point upward and the heel is close to the abdomen.
- Now, repeat the same step with the other leg.
- With both the legs crossed and feet placed on opposite thighs, place your hands on the knees in mudra position.
- Keep the head straight and spine erect.
- Hold and continue with gentle long breaths in and out.
Practising these simple yoga postures will lessen the impact of a migraine attack and may eventually stop them permanently. So, roll out the yoga mat, repose for some time everyday and shut migraine out of your life for good!
- Weight loss is all about 80% of eating habits and 20% of working out. Aim to lose both body fat as well as overall weight.
- Be regular and more often in your yoga practices.
- Keep the metabolism active by having 5-6 small meals every 2-3 hours. This will also help you in keeping your pseudo hunger at bay.
- Be passionate about your yoga workout. For the passion will help you to go deeper into your yoga practices.
- Be 100% with the food on the dinner table. Avoid watching T.V or chatting over the phone while eating and have a balanced diet.
Best yoga asanas to reduce weight:
- Surya Namaskar: 12 yoga poses combined to form a sequence called Surya Namaskar. It is the best yoga has to offer as far as the poses are concerned. It works on the whole body especially on the big muscle group. A beginner can start with a few rounds of it and gradually increase the no. of rounds. It helps to shred the weight and also known as king of the asanas.
- Warrior Pose: The warrior pose strengthens the hamstrings, thighs, legs and ankles as the body weight is transferred on the thighs with the forward bend. It helps to stimulate abdominal organs which can help increase the stamina. Stamina built up can help you to keep going over a longer period of time.
- Cobra Pose: This is the pose which works on the chest and the back region. The heart Cobra Poseopening pose helps to take deep breaths resulting in more oxygenated blood being pumped to different parts of the body. The oxygenated blood helps to burn the fat. Helps in toning the buttocks too.
- Bow Pose:This is more of an advanced yoga pose but Bow Pose: not only helps in burning the fat but also helps in toning of arms and legs. One can feel the stretch in the abdominal region taking this pose. The stretch helps to loosen up the fat in the region. Continuous practicing of this asana further melts the loosen belly fat.
- Side Bends: It’s as important to work on muscles in the stomach region as often as working on other muscles group. After a certain age the body stops to grow and the fat starts accumulating in the stomach region. Side bends helps to melt those love handles. These bends might not help to burn a lot of calories but will be instrumental in inch loss. Don’t be surprised if you need to wear belts as your pants will be loose the next time.