Thousands of miles away and your words here get into this cell phone which is not even connected to a wire. Usually when something is connected with a wire we take it for granted because we see that there is a connection, but here there is not even a solid connection. A cell phone is your hand, you speak and that gets transmitted in this empty space and goes and reaches somewhere so far away. If you just put your mind on this phenomenon you will be amazed. We take this for granted and we just speak on the cell phone and don’t even notice the mechanism behind it.
From cell phones, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar leads astonishingly to Yoga:
If you look into the mechanism you will be in awe. This awe awakens the spirit inside you. That awe takes you to the state of meditation. ‘Vismaya Yoga Bhumika’: ASTONISHMENT is the preface for Yoga. If you are astonished/stunned, that is when yoga begins, means your spiritual journey begins, meditation begins. So you must be astonished in order to get into yoga or whenever you feel that ‘wow’, that astonishment in you, know that you are connected with the spirit that you are. You are in that state of spiritual elevation. Isn’t it amazing, isn’t it beautiful!!
How could someone think that the ‘oh wow’ could create such an elevation of the spirit. All present day crisis and problems can be solved by this change in the attitude, don’t you think so?!
Yoga is connecting to the Divine. Art of Living founder Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has said, ‘Yoga is a study of life, study of your body, breath, mind, intellect, memory, and ego.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar further said, ”Vismaya Yoga Bhumika’: ASTONISHMENT is the preface for Yoga. If you are astonished/stunned, that is when yoga begins, means your spiritual journey begins, meditation begins and helps for free mind. So you must be astonished in order to get into yoga. ‘
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar beautifully said, ‘Yoga makes you a child again’. Not childish, childlike. Children are creative, have a sense of wonder for all things.Inspired by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, leading Yoga Gurus of various lineages came together at The Art of Living International Center for a two day ‘International Yoga Summit’. The two-day conference had eminent speakers exploring ways to use yoga as value-based education .
On International Yoga Day, India Today brings you an exclusive interview with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, founder Art of Living to understand yoga and its unexplored secrets which can benefit you in everyday life.
Lets start the journey of Yoga with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
When you hear the word ‘yoga’, chances are that an image of people twisting in presumably painful poses might pop up in your head. Yes, postures or asanas are an important part of the teachings of yoga, but they are not all that there is to it. So, how well do you really know yoga? As the world gears up to celebrate the first ever-International Day of Yoga, let us try and unravel the mysteries surrounding this ancient technique.
Yoga is that which gives you pleasure and comfort.
The definition for ‘asana‘ is a posture that is stable and pleasant. You should feel comfortable when doing yoga asanas. What is the definition of comfort? When you don’t feel the body. If you are sitting in some odd positions then you feel those parts of the body, painfully. Your focus is more on the discomfort there. When you do any asana, what you feel first is discomfort. But if you take your mind through it, you will find that in just a few minutes the discomfort has disappeared and you don’t feel the body. You feel an expansion or infinity in the postures.
Like any other Friday, a couple of my friends and me whatsapp chatting on what plans to make for the weekend. The suggestions ranged from quite dinner, clubbing, morning walk to movie. One of them suggested we go participate in the world yoga day. Most of us replied “is there a day for yoga!!!! Booooring ” . The friend who made the suggestion said “Go Google it”.
As the discussions resumed about the weekend plans I got curious and actually Google searched “International Day of Yoga“. Wikipedia told that June 21, has recently been declared as the world yoga day by the United Nations and it is going to be celebrated for the first time in the world this Sunday.
The enthusiast in me woke up, I immediately asked my friends and family if they were aware of the world yoga day and what are they doing this Sunday morning. I was surprised about how ignorant I had been and how aware and active my friends and family was. I went around asking what their perspective about yoga was. Following are a few responses I got.
- Grandma and Grandpa – ” Sunday morning we are going to go to the quite lake side and sit by watch the sun rise, the birds chirp and the winds rustle, for us yoga is not so much of a bodily exercise but a state of mind which is calm and alive, like Nature, for us being with nature is Yoga”
- Mummy – ” I have been going to yoga classes , but this Sunday all our yoga class ladies are going to take an off and see how we can apply yoga in daily life, for me if I am able to maintain the house clean and neat, handle the finances , feed and nurture the family , my mind is at peace. Like doing the postures in yoga requires a skill, this skill in action I get to do in my daily life is Yoga”.
- Daddy – “I am going to run for a marathon to raise awareness amongst the people about yoga, helping and serving others in whichever way I can is yoga “.
- House maid – “Ha-ha, there is a day for yoga too… I do yoga daily, sweeping the floor, washing clothes, doing the dishes, all this is similar to yoga”.
- Kids in the colony – “We are learning to dance yoga, going to perform it in our school, for us, yoga is fun”.
- Friends – “If I am able to look as hot as the model who comes on TV and shows the yoga postures and gracefully moved her hands and feet around, then I definitely will celebrate world yoga day daily, for me physical fitness is yoga”.
After Listening to all these I thought this weekend I should go and check out what is happening on the International yoga day. Hence I arrived at my own definition of yoga, for me “A spirit of enquiry is yoga”. So I am going to go on a date with yoga.
Go find your own definition and join the celebration of first ever International Day of Yoga on this June 21, 2015.