Sun Salutations and Kapal Bhati pranayama are some ways to help lose weight with yoga. Moreover, with regular practice of yoga, we tend to become more sensitive to the kind of food our body asks for and when. This can also help keep a check on weight. Weight loss is one of major benefits of yoga
We all love to visit peaceful, serene spots, rich in natural beauty. Little do we realize that peace can be found right within us and we can take a mini-vacation to experience this any time of the day! Benefit from a small holiday every day with yoga and meditation. Yoga is also one of the best ways to calm a disturbed mind.
A few minutes of yoga everyday provides the secret to feeling fresh and energetic even after a long day.
Better flexibility & posture:
Regular yoga practice stretches and tones the body muscles and also makes them strong. It also helps improve your body posture when you stand, sit, sleep or walk
Yoga poses massage organs and strengthen muscles; breathing techniques and meditation release stress and improve immunity.
Wind-Relieving pose strengthens the back and abdominal muscles, Enhances blood circulation in the hip joints and eases tension in the lower back
How to do Wind-Relieving pose
- Lie on your back with your feet together and arms beside your body.
- Breathe in and as you exhale, bring your right knee towards your chest and press the thigh on your abdomen with clasped hands.
- Breathe in again and as you exhale, lift your head and chest off the floor and touch your chin to your right knee.
- Hold it there, as you take deep, long breaths in and out.
- Checkpoint: As you exhale, tighten the grip of the hands on the knee and increase the pressure on the chest. As you inhale, loosen the grip.
- As you exhale, come back to the ground and relax.
- Repeat this pose with the left leg and then with both the legs together.
- You may rock up and down or roll from side to side 3-5 times and then relax.
Benefits of the Wind-Relieving Pose (Pawanmuktasana)
Enhances blood circulation in the hip joints and eases tension in the lower back
Strengthens the back and abdominal muscles
Tones the leg and arm muscles
Massages the intestines and other organs in the abdomen
Helps in digestion and release of gas
12 yoga poses combined to form a sequence called Surya Namaskar. It is the best yoga has
to offer as far as the poses are concerned. It works on the whole body especially on the big
muscle group. A beginner can start with a few rounds of it and gradually increase the no. of
rounds. It helps to shred the weight and also known as king of the asanas.
For weight loss, one or two rounds of suryanamaskar are not sufficient. However, start with
doing one round of these 12 steps of surya namaskar on day one. Remember that one round
of Surya Namaskar means doing all the 12 steps twice- first time with right leg and second
time with left leg . Keep on increasing your rounds everyday- 2 rounds on second day, 3 to
4 rounds on 3rd day, 5-7 rounds on 4th day and so on till the time when you become
capable of doing around 20 rounds of all the 12 surya namaskar steps. You will not need to
do any other exercise to reduce weight if you can do 18-20 rounds of surya namaskar yoga
steps each day!
Practicing Sun Salutation at different speeds (slow, medium or fast) can have different effects. If done at a slow pace, it can help strengthen and tone body muscles. Use the breath as an effective tool in slow movements to bring the body, mind and breath in harmony and enjoy a complete meditative experience. A few rounds of quick Sun Salutations can be a great cardiac workout. If you are doing Surya Namaskar as a warm-up exercise, do it at a fast pace. But if Sun Salutation is included in the entire yoga posture package, you can do it at slow to medium pace.
To achieve best results, ensure that you practice Sun Salutation regularly. Only then would you be able to experience its benefits. To quote Krishan Verma, senior Art of Living Yoga teacher, “It is better to practice daily for 20 minutes than to practice for an hour occasionally.”
Yoga considered being more of aerobic exercise burns less calories during the workout compared to other strenuous workouts which are as effective. Yoga has its own sweet ways to cut the flab.
Yoga Warrior Pose
The Warrior Pose or Veerabhadrasana is one of the best yoga poses for weight loss that strengthens and tones the arms, shoulders, thighs and back muscles
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Cobra pose helps to take deep breaths resulting in more oxygenated blood being pumped to different parts of the body. The oxygenated blood helps to burn the fat. Helps in toning the buttocks too.
Bow pose is more of an advanced yoga pose but not only helps in burning the fat but also helps in toning of arms and legs.
- 12 yoga poses combined to form a sequence called Surya Namaskar
- It helps to shred the weight and also known as king of the asanas
Camel Pose or Ustrasana is the best yoga for weight loss because it targets the tummy, back and thighs
It helps to lose weight and belly fat falls down
The Downward Facing Dog pose increases blood circulation to the brain and thus relieves headache.
Benefits of the Downward Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- This pose leaves you energized and rejuvenates the body
- It lengthens the spine, strengthens the muscles of the chest increasing lung capacity.
- It brings strength throughout the body especially the arms, shoulders, legs, feet.
- Helps to tone muscles
- It increases circulation to the brain
- Calms the mind and helps relive headache, insomnia and fatigue.
How to do Downward Facing Dog Pose
- Come onto your fours. Form a table such that your back forms the table top and your hands and feet form the legs of the table.
- As you breath out lift the hips up, straightening the knees and elbows, form an inverted V-shape with the body.
- Hands are shoulder width apart, feet are hip width apart and parallel to each other. Toes point straight ahead.
- Press your hands into the ground. Widen through the shoulder blades. Keep the neck lengthened by touching the ears to the inner arms.
- Hold the downward dog pose and take long deep breaths. Look towards the navel.
- Exhale. Bend the knees, return to table pose. Relax.
The Camel Pose or Ustrasana is the best yoga pose to reduce weight because it targets the tummy, back and thighs. Camel pose also helps for strengthening the back muscles, opening up the chest and lungs, improving the flexibility of the chest, abdomen and neck.
How to do Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
Padmasana helps you relax and clear your mind of tensions. The Padmasana yoga pose relaxes the mind and alleviates headache.
Padmasana or Lotus pose is a cross-legged yoga posture which helps deepen meditation by calming the mind and alleviating various physical ailments. A regular practice of this posture aids in overall blossoming of the practitioner, just like a lotus; and hence the name Padmasana.
How to do Lotus Pose (Padmasana):
- Sit on the floor or on a mat with legs stretched out in front of you while keeping the spine erect.
- Bend the right knee and place it on the left thigh. Make sure that the sole of the feet point upward and the heel is close to the abdomen.
- Now, repeat the same step with the other leg.
- With both the legs crossed and feet placed on opposite thighs, place your hands on the knees in mudra position.
- Keep the head straight and spine erect.
- Hold and continue with gentle long breaths in and out.
Practising these simple yoga postures will lessen the impact of a migraine attack and may eventually stop them permanently. So, roll out the yoga mat, repose for some time everyday and shut migraine out of your life for good!